Learn more about each of our host communities below. Each location has been carefully selected to maximize student learning and community impact.
These factors can help narrow down your interest:
- Area of work. Each location offers projects that revolve around community needs, like women’s empowerment or microfinance. Read about our alums’ experiences in recent work.
- Partner organization. GESI works with three partners, who each approach development a specific way. One of the partner models might resonate with you.
- Language ability. One year of college-level Spanish or the equivalent is required for Bolivia, the Dominican Republic, and Nicaragua. The other locations have no language requirement.
Keep in mind that while you will select your top two location preferences on the application, the GESI staff will ultimately determine your placement based on:
- Available spots. The sooner you apply, the more likely you are to go to your first-choice location!
- Demonstrated language ability for Spanish-speaking locations, if applicable. This is tested in your interview.
- Your work interests.
- The requests and needs of the community.